Today I had grand ambitions to get back on the blog-writing horse and write something up about my holiday adventures in Yalova this year. I got so far as downloading the pictures to my iPhoto and waiting, waiting, while my slow, old, wonderfully stubborn tank of a computer downloaded all the photos and videos I've taken. Then, suddenly, I realized that it was much too soon to write about the holiday season because it's not officially over! After all, Dad's birthday isn't until tomorrow and I still haven't received the box of Mom & Dad's Christmas gifts, so, alas, dear readers, you must continue to wait.

Happily for you, though, today happens to be Monday, but I'll ignore that and focus on the fact that we had a new(-ish) Turkish dish for dinner today. And--get this!--I even took pictures! So, viola, it's a Turkish Tuesday post, long, long overdue.
The hot, Anatolian meal of the night tonight was a scrumptious Turkish zucchini fritter-- mucver. Yum!
Colin and I first encountered mucver on the campus green in Corvallis when Tuba prepared some for us this summer, but it wasn't until we had some left over meze cheese after Thanksgiving that we made it for ourselves. The same thing happened today--we had some leftover cheese and some left over zucchinis, so we said to ourselves, let it be mucver.

Colin was the head-chef tonight and he did an excellent job grating and chopping the veggies and then frying them up on the stove. The rest is pretty much history. We served our mucver with a fresh green salad, some sultan's pilavi, and a heaping serving of tangy Turkish yogurt. (The Efes' pictured were also a bit of a celebration since today was a testing day for my students (bless their hearts), so today's the last night for a couple of nights when I won't have grading "homework" to do.)
If you're interested in trying some out yourself, I'd recommend either/both of these recipes.
http://www.deliciousistanbul.com/blog/2011/06/28/zucchini-fritters-mucver/ (scroll down past story for recipe); www.petersommer.com/turkey-travel-country/turkish-food-cuisine/mucver-zucchini-courgette-fritters/
Be a "true Turkish cook" and view the recipes as more like guidelines, and just use whatever ingredients that you have in the house...but be sure to have real yogurt to go on top.
Kolay gelsin and afiyet olsun! Love, Annika
Happily for you, though, today happens to be Monday, but I'll ignore that and focus on the fact that we had a new(-ish) Turkish dish for dinner today. And--get this!--I even took pictures! So, viola, it's a Turkish Tuesday post, long, long overdue.
The hot, Anatolian meal of the night tonight was a scrumptious Turkish zucchini fritter-- mucver. Yum!
Colin and I first encountered mucver on the campus green in Corvallis when Tuba prepared some for us this summer, but it wasn't until we had some left over meze cheese after Thanksgiving that we made it for ourselves. The same thing happened today--we had some leftover cheese and some left over zucchinis, so we said to ourselves, let it be mucver.
Colin was the head-chef tonight and he did an excellent job grating and chopping the veggies and then frying them up on the stove. The rest is pretty much history. We served our mucver with a fresh green salad, some sultan's pilavi, and a heaping serving of tangy Turkish yogurt. (The Efes' pictured were also a bit of a celebration since today was a testing day for my students (bless their hearts), so today's the last night for a couple of nights when I won't have grading "homework" to do.)
If you're interested in trying some out yourself, I'd recommend either/both of these recipes.
http://www.deliciousistanbul.com/blog/2011/06/28/zucchini-fritters-mucver/ (scroll down past story for recipe); www.petersommer.com/turkey-travel-country/turkish-food-cuisine/mucver-zucchini-courgette-fritters/
Be a "true Turkish cook" and view the recipes as more like guidelines, and just use whatever ingredients that you have in the house...but be sure to have real yogurt to go on top.
Kolay gelsin and afiyet olsun! Love, Annika
Annika, this dinner looks SO good. I'm definitely going to try it out -- thank you for sharing the recipe. Hope you had (are still having?) a wonderful holiday season!
ReplyDelete- Shannon