Sunday, December 4, 2011

Christmas Shopping

This was a big weekend for my loved ones in the states. For the Oregon contingent, it was ScanFair and at St. Olaf, it was the 100th anniversary of Christmas Festival.  Boof! My favorite Christmas-related events (other than Christmas and Lucia Dagen) back-to-back? Wish I could be there.

Since I couldn't be, though, Margot and I got going on our own Christmas festivities yesterday by heading to Istanbul for some good old-fashioned holiday shopping! We  took the morning ferry to Yenikapi and headed straight for the Grand Bazaar, family shopping lists in hand.

--Along the way, I passed this shop selling Scandinavian sweaters. Aren't they great? I could totally imagine them at either of my Scandinavian events this weekend.  I love Scandinavian sweaters and seeing crowds of people wearing them! It makes me smile just imagining them. :-)

As Margot and I twisted and turned our way through the 4000 shops in the Grand Bazaar, we found just about everything on our lists. I also found this jolly St. Nick--a toy produced by Turkey's tourism bureau. It makes sense that they would make a St. Nick doll since he was actually a Turk who was born, raised and did most of his ministry near Antalya, but I think it's funny how "Santa" this St. Nicholas looks.  I admit I was sorely tempted to bring him home to add to our currently limited Christmas decor, but I let Santa stay in the bazaar to inspire other Christmas shoppers.

Four hours after this chance encounter with the embodiment of Christmas consumerism, Margot and I stumbled out of the bazaar, laden with bubble- and gift-wrapped goodies for all the girls and boys, parents and grandparents, and brothers and sisters we love.  We hopped on the tram right outside the bazaar, rode to Aksaray, walked down hill to the iskele and in a few short hours were back in our cozy little apartment by the sea.

Today'll be all about wrapping for me!  I'll probably make some cocoa, too, and play the Pandora holiday station.  I'm going to go to Kipa, so I might bring back a "New Years" tree. We've already got some lights so, who knows, we might get around to putting those up outside.  Or, tf we get really festive-feeling, I could take down the turkey hands and get working on our paper snowflakes. Yay!  Christmas! I'm so glad it's going to happen here, too!!

No comments:

Post a Comment