Friday, October 14, 2011

Generosity

The generosity of my new Turkish hometown continues to impress me.

Yesterday, I went out to Migros for some usual immediately-before-dinner shopping, and I felt like I was at Costco, I got so many free samples.  Consequently, I bought some baklava (wasn't planning to do that, but it was a delicious choice) and found pastrami and a stronger white cheese that I will definitely be trying in the future. I also refilled my emptying cupboards with more rice, corn flakes, and apricots, plus I found mini frozen pizzas! Yum!

Today I went back to the post office to try and send a package to Minnesota, but I didn't have an envelope. The post offices here don't sell them, but a random guys who spoke pretty good English walked me to the nearest envelope store (which happened to be in Karizma--3 floors down from my office).  Then he walked me back to the post office, and pretty non-creep-ily left me his email address so that I could email him if I wanted to. It was really nice of him!

Anyway, these are two small examples but I am so happy and I feel so welcome in Yalova.  All the time I see smiling faces and people are going out of their way to help me. It's wonderful--I'm so lucky to be here!

Much love from the friendliest city this side of the Marmara,
-Annika

No comments:

Post a Comment