Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Little Pieces of Home

Today was a really good day because at long last, I moved into my permanent office at Karizma and got access to the interwebs both on my computer in that snazzy new office and via TTNET wi-fi at my daire (apartment).

This morning, as I was just beginning my yoga work out in the front room, the door bell went off.  It was the installation people for Margot's new black-out blinds.  They came in, did their thing, and headed out.  Within 10 minutes of them finishing their work, the doorbell went off again.  This is shocking because the doorbell has probably only been used twice before the two times it was rung today.  Anyway, it was our electricians who were coming to install our new phone-line/modem.  Their work took a little longer, but it was successful! Now I am surfing the waves of knowledge that create our online community at practically no cost.  Thanks TTNET! It's funny, even though I had internet before, just being able to access it more easily makes me feel more settled here.

 Since I'm sure you're anxious to see pictures of my new university digs, here it is: my big-girl office. Note the pictures and cards that I have on my bulletin board and the couple of frames on my desk. Diana Martin--yep, that's the pineapple card you sent to me in 2009.  Ben and Megan--yep, that's us in Fes at the tombs outside of town.  Allyson and Kaitlin--you're right, that is the South Dakota buffalo postcard I bought with you in 2008 when we were roadtripping to Olaf together. Mom and Dad--there we are, on my desk in front of the Birthday Cake hippo, with the last Christmas tree we cut when I was in high school. Katie, you're there, too! We're wearing our matching yellow airplane shirts and flying to Japan in that darker picture, second from the right.  Colin--I'm sure you recognize that other frame on my desk and Mt. Boulder on the board.  I had a really good time today organizing my stuff and setting it all up. 
My new office-mates are Imge and Nilufer, and I'm so glad to be with them! Our office is warm and friendly.  It feels so much more like a place to do work and welcome students than my last office, which felt a bit like the storage closet/photocopy room.  It was fine (really! I didn't mind it!), but this is so much better.  ---Plus, look!  I have office supplies!  Post-its, scissors, a tape dispenser, even scratch paper--all thanks to Yalova University. How great are they? 

After work today, I took the dolmush (mini-bus) out to Kipa.  I decided that I was tired of slipping around on the carpet and I wanted to buy a yoga mat.  On my way in, I noticed that the store across from Kipa is this one:

Deichmann?? Dickman!!! My brother and sister have their very own Turkish outlet shoe company!  How cool is that? I was short on time today because it was already getting dark and I still had to walk home, so I didn't stop to look around in Deichmann's, but maybe that'll be where I get my next pair of winter shoes.

In Kipa, I found the yoga mats and then questioned if I should buy one: is 50 TL too much to spend on a piece of plastic?   I finally decided it wasn't.  When I got to the register, however, my mat only rang up as 10 TL!  What a Turkish miracle.  When I got home and unrolled my mat, I discovered another Turkish miracle:
This label is so silly.  When I unrolled it, I had to go show Margot.  She loved it, too.

So, I'm making in-roads to settlement at YU and my apartment.  I'm getting nice and nested here, but I still miss home and all of you who make it home. 

All my love from Yalova,
-Annika

No comments:

Post a Comment