Of course, my American heart melted at seeing this patriotic ekmek, as did those of my friends. (We're so fortunate!) At the same time, our bellies opened and allowed space for never-before-experienced food to enter. I personally had Adana Durum--a piece of nicely spiced meat wrapped up in a nice pita-like bread. Yum! This restaurant was really great. It had been recommended to Cassidy in our group by an Ankaran. This girl had been right--I felt like I'd slipped out of a bustling city into a small town. I got ot baby-watch a little and I didn't feel ogled at all! It was totally cool that we were Americans and incredibly appreciated that we were speaking Turkish. The USA on our bread was only frosting on the cake. We already felt like local celebrities.
After dinner, Margot et al. and I came home and I did a little sewing and lesson planning. Then, after the work was done, it was time for fun! :-) We headed out to meet other Fulbrighters at "Newcastle"--a bar maybe 200 m from our hotel that happens to have 1/2 price drinks on Tuesdays. Awesome!
Right: Devin (harmonica player) waves to you all from across the patio. He was very glad to hear he'd been mentioned in Yallah Yalova, for all 5 of my followers. (He'd be even happier if I had more followers, though!) Earlier in the evening, he'd had his fortune read in his Turkish coffee grounds. Things are looking dynamic for him--you can find out your own fortune if you come to Yalova! We apparently have legendary grounds.
Though it did cost a minor fortune to spend the late evening at the bar, we all had a great time. In fact, this was the first time that all of the Yalova Family got together for a real cheers. As I promised Clayton, it'll only be the first of many.
This has been a fun and productive evening! Tomorrow, to the kutuphane (-library)!!
Iyi geceler,
-Annika
p.s. Wish me luck on my first lesson tomorrow! I'll be teaching an 8-min micro lesson on Haikus. Thx!
Fun! Daniel and I are enjoying your BLOG!! I have done a good job stalking you this evening... I hit up your facebook wall, your skype and now your BLOG!! We love you!!
ReplyDelete